Job Seeker Home
(this posting is closed/inactive)
Via Christi Health
Director Inpatient Care
Pittsburg, KS 66762 United States
Based on experience
Director of Patient Care
Be part of Via Christi Health, where you as the dedicated clinician lead the care!
Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg is a regional leader in health care for southeast Kansas. Via Christi Health is the largest healthcare provider in Kansas. Visit www.viachristi.org for more information.
Our comprehensive Cancer Center was among the first in the region and is fully certified by the American College of Surgeons.
The Via Christi Heart Center features a state-of-the-art catheterization lab and is supported by our newly renovated $2.6 million Cardiac Stepdown Unit.
Our Emergency Room is recognized as a Level III Trauma Center by the Committee on Trauma of the American College of Surgeons.
Our specialty service line is extensive and includes Orthopedics, Diagnostics, Surgery, Physical Therapy and Occupational Health.
Every day we make a difference in the lives of those we serve. We're committed to our mission of serving as a healing presence with special concern for our neighbors who are most vulnerable.
Director Inpatient Care
Twenty-four hour responsibility for the patient care services provided within Adult Medical, Oncology, Pediatrics, Inpatient Rehab, and Swing Bed. Responsible for implementation and evaluation of Patient Care programs within the hospital ministry and service area. Coordinates with all other departments of the hospital to provide their services. This position represents the interests of the hospital with third parties, associations, regulatory and accrediting bodies, which interact with or influence operation of the department.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
· Communicates mission, vision and plans for improvement and growth to all employees.
· Designs, modifies, coordinates and integrates services within assigned departments and with other departments in accordance with the hospital’s primary functions.
· Participates in patient care as needed. Role models teamwork. Makes periodic patient and staff rounds on weekends, holidays and off shifts.
· Ensures that department patient safety program is implemented and integrated with hospital safety program.
· In collaboration with associated departments, develops and implements policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of care, treatment and services.
· Through short-term and long-term planning, continuously assesses and improves departments’ performance in conjunction with the hospital’s process improvement, patient safety and patient satisfaction programs. Continuously improves CMS indicators, NDNQI results and other quality metrics.
· Plans for and supports the provision and coordination of patient education.
· Develops and implements plans to identify and mitigate impediments to efficient patient flow throughout the hospital during normal situations as well as emergencies.
· Defines the required qualification, competence and numbers of staff who provide care, treatment and services.
· Recommends and continuously assess the performance of qualified and competent persons to provide care to a population of patients.
· In conjunction with hospital administration, recommends adequate space, equipment and other resources, and develops annual operating and capital budget. Meets budgetary and Action OI goals or can justify variation.
· May perform other duties as assigned or requested.
This position has twenty-four hour supervisory responsibility for patient care staff and departmental operations.
Education, training, experience:
Education and/or Experience
· Graduation from an approved school of nursing, BSN required. Masters in nursing or business preferred.
· Four years clinical experience required. Leadership experience preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
· Licensed Registered Nurse (RN) in the state of Kansas required.
· BLS required.
· ACLS and PALS preferred.
VCH-P: Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers offered by the American Heart Association or CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer offered by the Red Cross received within 30 days from date of hire.
· A personal presence which is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals and values of Via Christi Health.
· Compassion for patients, family members, and others; along with a nurturing spirit to provide care during emotionally stressful situations.
· Must display good verbal and written communication skills, and be able to professionally receive and follow oral instructions.
· Must possess analytical and problem solving skills as well as the ability to work and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
· Must be able to relate and communicate with individuals and use persuasion to influence opinions, attitudes and actions individually and collectively.
· Must have in-depth knowledge of their clinical specialty.
· Must have public speaking and classroom skills.
· Computer skills with specific abilities in word processing and\or spreadsheet applications.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodationsmay be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Light work:Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently. Required walking or standing to significant degree; or requires sitting most of the time but entails pushing and/or pulling of arm or leg controls.
Frequently required to sit in a stationary position.
Occasionally performs activities that require stooping, bending and reaching, squatting, balancing, and trunk twisting throughout the day.
Constantly able to communicate verbally and in written form.
Frequently able to detect and discern both loud and soft sounds such as phone calls and customer questions.
Constantly able to use hands and fingers to type, write, and file.
Frequently able to use near vision for viewing computer monitor and written materials.
Occasionally required to detect unusual odors that could indicate environmental issues.
Works in a medical-surgical hospital. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to patients with communicable diseases. May work around hazardous materials, including radiation, chemotherapy agents, and biohazards. May be exposed to blood, body fluids, fumes, or airborne particles, and sharp objects potentially contaminated with blood borne pathogens or other infectious agents.
Additionally makes site visits to banks, schools manufacturing plants and various other local businesses.
Well light, climate controlled work environment
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Position Scope/Patient Population:
This position may have direct patient contact providing/assisting adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients.
Via Christi is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Terms & Conditions